Shopping Cart

0 Items in Cart
Royal Swedish Orchestra

Royal Swedish Orchestra

Royal Swedish Orchestra is a Swedish orchestra and was located at the Royal Court in Sweden's capital Stockholm. Its existence was first noted in 1526. Since 1773 it is part of the Royal Swedish Opera's company.



Originally the orchestra of the royal Swedish court, it is first recorded in the royal account books from 1526. The Orchestra originally consisted of both musicians and singers. It had only male members until 1727, when Sophia Schröder and Judith Fischer were employed as vocalists. The Orchestra had a golden age under the leadership of several members of the Düben family during the 17th century. In the 18th century, its directors included Johan Helmich Roman and Francesco Uttini. From 1731, public concerts were performed at Riddarhuset in Stockholm and Since 1773, when the Royal Swedish Opera was founded by Gustav III of Sweden, the Royal Swedish Orchestra has been part of the opera's company.