Dunedin Consort is Gramophone Editor's Choice
30 June 2010
The award-winning Dunedin Consort's "spine-tingling" new album 'J.S. Bach Mass in B Minor' has just been named 'Editor's Choice' in the latest issue of Gramophone Magazine. This wonderful double album features the premiere recording of the Breitkopf & Härtel Edition of Bach's popular mass edited by Joshua Rifkin in 2006. Director John Butt and the Dunedin Consort make this both a revealing, historically accurate soloist-led performance and a truly groundbreaking recording.
This recording has been very highly praised by the critics who have described it as "definitive", "sensational" and "powerful". Here are just some of the reasons why you may wish to add 'J.S. Bach Mass in B Minor', to your Linn collection....
- "Editor's Choice" Gramophone
- Surely no other recording of Bach's B Minor Mass bounces along with such joy as this." The Times
- "It's sensational. It's a knockout. Another award winner, perhaps?" The Herald
- "You can really lose yourself in this performance." ClassicsToday.com
- "[The] performance is powerful and beautifully shaped." Sunday Times
- "This constantly changing texture makes us listen afresh to the beauty of Bach's astonishing vocal writing.. A definitive recording." The Observer
- "Spine-tingling...an excellent recording." International Record Review
This recording is available to download at Studio Master Quality (192kHz / 88.2kHz), CD Quality or MP3 or buy on double SACD.
Dunedin ConsortJ.S. Bach: Mass in B minor - Breitkopf & Härtel Edition, edited by J. Rifkin (2006)