The Well-Tempered Consort – III has been nominated for a 2024 Chamber Award
Gramophone Award Finalists Announced
As Linn comes to the end of its time as Gramophone's 'Label of the Year' we are proud to announce that three of the recordings released within the last twelve months have been chosen as Finalists for a 2011 Gramophone Award.
Retrospect Ensemble are a Finalist in the Baroque Vocal category, The Avison Ensemble are a Finalist in the Baroque Instrumental category whilst Phantasm is a Finalist in the Early Music category. The award ceremony will be held on October 6 at London's Dorchester Hotel. Congratulations to everyone and good luck!
Retrospect Ensemble's 'JS Bach Easter and Ascension Oratorios' has received excellent press across the board and not surprisingly. when you consider the wealth of talent present on this spectacular recording. Featuring Carolyn Sampson (soprano), Iestyn Davies (countertenor), James Gilchrist (tenor), Peter Harvey (bass) this is a memorable performance of Bach's choral music led by Matthew Halls.
- Multichannel Disc of the Month: 'The fact is that there is not a weak link anywhere in this cast...' Audiophile Audition
- 'The Retrospect Ensemble's orchestral playing and choral singing is of the highest quality...' Gramophone
- Classical Record of the Week: 'Top-drawer Bach throughout, beautifully recorded and documented by Linn.' The Sunday Times
The Avison Ensemble's recording of 'Handel Concerti Grossi Opus 6', directed by Pavlo Beznosiuk, is a beautiful three disc set of the work widely regarded as the composer's greatest contribution to the Baroque period. Named 'Best Recording of 2010' by High Fidelity and awarded an Opus d'Or and a Classique Info Ring award this is a not-to-be-missed recording.
- Orchestral Choice: 'I shall certainly return frequently to this splendid set.' BBC Music Magazine
- '...beautifully realized by the stunningly realistic, resoundingly vibrant sound engineering...Essential!' ClassicsToday.com
- '...right up there with Bach's Brandenburg Concerti as one of the greatest examples of instrumental works of the High Baroque.' Audiophile Audition
Phantasm returned from their award-winning debut on Linn with the first complete collection of William Byrd's consort music, including new hymn settings that are première recordings. It was an instant success with Gramophone naming it 'Editor's Choice' and Diapason awarding it a Diapason d'Or - Golden Diapason.
- 'Six viol players without par remind us what separates a good early music disc from an exceptional success: each track is a forest bustling with life.' Diapason
- Disc of the Month: 'Ensemble and intonation are flawless...' BBC Music Magazine
Recording of the Month: 'The performances here are excellent, and the recording as good as possible for a viol consort.' MusicWeb International