Studio Master (192) FLAC
- Studio Master (192) ALAC
- Studio Master FLAC
- Studio Master ALAC
- CD Quality FLAC
- CD Quality ALAC
- Fur Alina arr. for Vibraphone and CrotalesComposer(s) Arvo PartArtist(s) KUNIKO
Fur Alina arr. for Vibraphone and Crotales04:00$2.30
- New York Counterpoint arr. for MarimbaComposer(s) Steve ReichArtist(s) KUNIKO
New York Counterpoint arr. for Marimba11:14$4.75
- Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten arr. for MarimbaComposer(s) Arvo PartArtist(s) KUNIKO
Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten arr. for Marimba06:27$2.30
- Fratres arr. for Marimba and VibraphoneComposer(s) Arvo PartArtist(s) KUNIKO
Fratres arr. for Marimba and Vibraphone08:10$3.50
- Purl GroundComposer(s) Hywel DaviesArtist(s) KUNIKO
- Spiegel im Spiegel arr. for Marimba and BellsComposer(s) Arvo PartArtist(s) KUNIKO
Spiegel im Spiegel arr. for Marimba and Bells10:25$4.40
Total running time: 51 minutes.
KUNIKO's eagerly awaited second album includes world premiere recordings of the percussionist's new arrangements of popular works by contemporary composers Arvo Pärt, Steve Reich and Hywel Davies.
Cantus, features six pieces arranged for five octave marimba or vibraphone, each chosen to fully demonstrate the colours, depth and dynamics of the instrument. The arrangements and recording have been made with supervision by the original composers: Arvo Pärt, Steve Reich and Hywel Davies. This album was named 'Best of 2013 Readers' Choice' in The Washington Post and won the 'Best Recording Award' at the 26th MPCJ Music Award (Music Pen Club Japan).
The simplicity and beauty of Arvo Pärt's music has won the composer many fans. In turn Pärt is a fan of KUNIKO's arrangements having approved the new versions premiered on this album. KUNIKO has arranged four of his best-loved pieces including Cantus, a fitting tribute to Benjamin Britten in 2013, his 100th anniversary year.
Purl Ground is an original piece written by British composer Hywel Davies, which KUNIKO premiered at the Cheltenham Festival in 2011 to critical acclaim. The piece is arranged for solo marimba and makes excellent use of both tremolo and pianissimo effects.